Sunday 20 November 2011

Self-promotion

Thing 21 is about promoting yourself in job applications and at interview. I should start by saying that I am in no way looking at applying for other jobs! I am astonished that I've been so fortunate in having arrived in my current position and every day I can't quite believe I've pulled it off - I have a job I genuinely love.

So to approach this Thing, I'll stick to looking at the questions which are posed as a jumping off point for thinking about our strengths and how to promote them. We're asked what we like doing, even how we spend our spare time, since what we enjoy is usually what we're good at, and the types of things we're good at can be extrapolated into more general strengths.

Well, I mainly spend my spare time:
  • reading/studying (I enjoy learning about a wide range of subjects)
  • crocheting (while on the surface this looks like I like working systematically through instructions - a pattern - in reality the pattern always needs a bit of creative modifying to get the end result you want)
  • fixing my 1890s house up (learning new skills, problem solving, working with my hands, restoring heritage, and being creative)
  • playing boardgames (the types I play, such as Settlers of Catan, usually focus strongly on strategic planning and resource management, so until I rule the world, boardgames are good practice)
So in job-application-speak I guess that make me a lifelong learner, a strategist, and a creative problem solver, who is not afraid to get her hands dirty, and who has a passion for heritage!

No comments:

Post a Comment